Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Woops, That's Your Horse...Let me Get Down.

As I continue my time at school and as I continue my consumption of knowledge, my knowledge in the Spirit has brought up these verses, "Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies. If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know; but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him." (1 Corinthian 8:1-3) These verses have popped up before in my life. The depths of them I have yet to know completely, but the thing that convicted me was the first part.

One of my classes at school is Philosophy of Art and the class straight up captivates me. I love it. However, in my gathering of new knowledge I can't help but notice the fact that I sometimes like to parade it around like a scepter. This is arrogance. And when I become arrogant I lose sight of others and focus on my understanding and knowledge above everyone else's, thus disobeying the commandment, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," and even the greatest, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your might." I've made knowledge an idol, which is why I think Paul says,--right before "Knowledge makes arrogant..."--"Now concerning things sacrificed to idols, we know that we all have knowledge." I don't completely understand this statement, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact of making knowledge an idol.

So, in my pursuit to be who God has made me to be in His image I must keep in mind that above everything else He asks of me I must first seek Love. I'm not saying knowledge is bad. No, what I'm saying is that what you do with knowledge can be. First is love, then knowledge for those who need edification in education. I consider the intellectual part of my be, a gift and when I began to idolize the gift instead of the Giver, the gift no longer has the same meaning. I am no longer grateful because I took away the reason of the gift: Love.

May I love you first, in faith, in hope, in humility, and in truth. May these things be pleasing in the sight of God and may you glorify Him on behalf of our King, Christ Jesus.

Love,
fletcher

No comments: